Thursday 20 November 2008

scanned

well,thats over with.i got to Norwich hospital at 3pm and was lucky enough to get called straight in,the lady that was being scanned had had to have a dye injected,and there was a wait for it to work.so i was straight in for mine. anyone doesnt know,Magnetic Resonance Imaging scanners are like a tunnel. you are slid in,and it is not a nice procedure. god help you if you are claustrophobic, i didnt think i was until i had my first one. the roof of said "tunnel" is about 6 to 9 inches away from your nose. you get to know the patterns in the plastic very well. i was in the corpse position lol.on my back arms crossed,with the "panic button" they give you to hold in case you feel ill in there and want to get out fast. ear plugs in. the scan "bit" across my head first,then repositioned after the frst scan done. scans last from 14 minutes,the first,8 mins.second,and the last 4 minutes. imagine being in a tin roofed shed with a massive hail storm going on. similar drumming noise. andf you have to keep still. as i get acid reflux if i lay flat,i have to keep trying to swallow,and its bloody hard to keep still and do that. at last it was over,slid out into the light again. all in all i was in and out in 45 minutes. very good indeed. the results will be sent to my consultant,and he will see me on my next appointment with him in january. which is why he wanted the scan done. so he can see how things look. anyway,i got home at 5 and the lovely lady,carol,from Crossroads carers was still with mum,she had said she would keep with her however late i was. she is the carer who comes in now on a thursday afternoon to allow me my time off. which i still have to actually have lol. at least if i dont want,or cant afford to go out i can go to bed. its funny,when she first came 3 or 4 weeks ago and introduced herself,we realised we used to live 4 doors away from each other at Melton Constable,and in fact her parents still live in the same house lol. small world. she is a lovely carer,in the true sense of the word. think tracey could learn a thing or 2 from carol. on a sadder note,it was Emmas funeral today. i can add that she died peacefully with her mother ,grandmother and boyfriend at her bedside. may she find peace. take care all

21 comments:

Jenny said...

I am glad you got through that ok. It is a good thing you have a good carer for your mum. It must help to know you have someone you can trust if you have to leave her.
Jenny <><

Beth said...

I'm glad all went as well as can be expected, and I'm so glad that you have Carol there to help you and your Mom! I hope your results are good and that you get them soon.

Hugs, Beth

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I hope that one of these days you can actually enjoy your afternoon off. It is nice to know that you have a carer that cares.
'On Ya'-ma

Rose said...

Thinking of you and hope your result come out fine.

Hugs, Rose

Yasmin said...

Glad you got through that ok, and least your seeing the Consultant in a reasonale time frame. Glad your mum has a good carer, and that you get to have a break now and then.

Take care

Yasmin
xx

Jeannette said...

I am glad you got through it Mort and it is behind you now. I have always prayed I would never have to go in one of those, I panic at hospitals anyway and I cannot stand confined spaces so well done you.

Lucy said...

Mort you don't know how much I would like to have you say a miracle occured and you are completely free of MS, but I know that won't happen. I am glad you got the test over. That sounds much like the same machine I went through On my brain scan, Very noisy. It sounds like you have a good carer for mum. Now, I wish you could get an excellent report when you see your dr. USA mom

pam said...

Hey my fav other man. I will cross my fingers and toes for good results for you. I wish we lived nearer and I could drag you round the shops on your time off! lol. Bet ur glad we don't!! lol. Love pam xx

louise said...

Glad your scan is done and pleased your mum has a nice carer! Louise xx

Jan said...

Oh Mort the scan sounds horific ,Iwould hate that being claustraphobic thank Goodness you have that behind you ,how lovely of Mums care to stay on until you got back ,love to you both ..Jan xx

Pamela said...

I know those scans are tough. I haven't had to endure one yet. I'd probably have to take a sedative to be so calm inside a tube. I will be anxious for the results.
I'm glad you have a nice carer for Mum now. Have a good day sweetie.
Love you,
Pam xoxox

Anonymous said...

Hi Mort, glad to hear you made it to get your mri, hope you get back good results. Hello to mums. Take care jean

ADB said...

Good to hear you made it through the scan, Mort. Rest in peace, Emma.

Funnyface said...

Hello Mort,
Gosh, don't like the sound of that scan, i would have had to keep my eyes firmly shut and think of something nice ! At least you've had it done, jus have to wait for the results now, and that won't be long! Hope you are keeping warm, did you have snow this weekend? Sorry to hear Mum is not so good, but how nice her carer sounds.
Speaky soon, lots of love, Jaynee X

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that everything went well. God bless!

Lori J said...

Dearest Morton, Just stopping by to give my love to you and Mum.
I guess all the Americans will be filling up on turkey today. I never understand why ours is a different date.

Love and hugs,

Alberta LORI

Lucy said...

Should you be getting the results of scan soon? Lucy

Linda's World said...

Just a note to let you know you are in the thoughts and prayers of many. Take care...Linda in Washington state

Lainey Laine said...

Mort, missing you - hope you are better soon. Sending you my love. Laine xxx

krissy knox said...

Mort, is it true? I heard you had a heart attack. So sorry this happened to you. I was wondering if it was true when I first heard it. Please rally all your strenth to get through this. We need you around here, so hurry up and get better so you can come back soon --you are lots of fun and brighten our day with your levity and joy. We'll be waiting for you as you make your recovery. Take care and hurry back, your friend,
Krissy :)
visit my main blog: Sometimes I Think
Hey Jlanders! Please post your blogs in the Directory of Blogs: from jland to blogger
PS. I just told John about you and your situation, he wishes you to be better also. Krissy. PS We'll be praying.

Sybil said...

Hello There Mort.

what a fright to give us all...I have just heard that you are home so hopefully you will be able to get down to reading these messages. and soon be able to get in touch with us all.

lots of love Sybil xx